Dear W.J. Watson Families,
We’re so excited to see everyone on Tuesday, September 6th, 2016!
On the first day, students and their families are reminded:
- Parking on the road is limited. Families are encouraged to walk to school.
- Please always cross Carrick Avenue at the crosswalk with our crossing guard at the South side of the school.
- Students (families are welcome as well) are to make their way to the back of the schoolyard using either the south sidewalk or the north sidewalk on school property. Students should never cross through the parking lot or bus loop even with an adult.
- Kindergarten students will gather in the kindergarten yard, students in grades 1-4 at the doors by the outdoor classroom and students in grade 5-8 at the doors by the playground apparatus.
- Arrive promptly and be at the back of the school by the doors for our school start at 9:00 a.m. Supervision is available in the schoolyard from 8:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Kindergarten teachers will arrange classes in the kindergarten yard before entering the school. SK parents are reminded that Kindergarten students may not have their same educators they had in JK due to staffing changes and our school organization which includes an SK/grade 1 class. SK Parents: Please ensure your child is aware they may be in a different classroom and/or have a different teacher this year.
- At 9:00, the bell will ring and students in grades 1-8 will enter the school. Parents/guardians will say goodbye and good luck to their children at this time (due to safe schools and the necessity to start our learning day promptly – parents/guardians will not be permitted through the back doors of the school with the students). Students will enter the school and be directed by staff members to the gym or library. Many staff members will be available to assist students who may be struggling a little with the transition back to school. Staff members will arrange students into their classrooms inside the school. Please be assured that staff have worked together to ensure your child has been placed in a classroom that will best meet their learning, social and emotional needs.
- Wear sunscreen and bring a hat.
- Refrain from wearing any scents, including perfumes and colognes. We are a scent sensitive school as we have school community members with severe allergies to scents.
- Bring a healthy lunch, including healthy snacks and water, to school. Please remember that we are a nut-safe school.
- Parents/guardians of children with important allergies or medical concerns are asked to stop by the office on the first day so that we can better understand your child’s needs and determine how we can help. Please note there will be some information for parents to complete as well. Please enter through the front doors to come to the office.
- The office is open from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. each day. Should you have any questions, concerns or comments, please contact us at 905-476-1618. We want to hear from you!
- All adult visitors must ring the bell at the front of the school, enter the school and immediately report into the office. If entering the school, visitors must sign in and wear a visitor sticker.
- Wear a smile, bring a positive attitude and let’s have a great year learning together!
Yours in learning,
The W.J. Watson Staff